The Institute of Combustion, Aerothermics, Reactivity and Environment – ICARE, was created on 1 January 2007 by the merger of the Combustion and Reactive Systems Laboratory and the Aerothermics Laboratory. ICARE is located on the CNRS campus at La Source. ICARE’s two fields of intervention, namely “Energy & Environment” and “Propulsion & Space”, are divided into 3 Thematic Groups: “Combustion and Reactive Systems”, “Atmosphere and Environment” and “Space Propulsion and High-Speed Flows”.
ICARE is a partner in Investment Projects for the Future: LABEX CAPRYSSES (2012-2020), LABEX VOLTAIRE (2011-2020), MITHYGEN ANR-RSNR on hydrogen risks in nuclear power plants (2013-2018). ICARE participates in several ANR projects with and without industrial partnership, and various contracts with industrial partners or agencies have recently been obtained.
Facts illustrating the academic influence or attractiveness of the entity :
- S. Tsikata received the bronze medal from the CNRS (2020),
- P. Dagaut et I. Gökalp have been elected Fellows du Combustion Institute (2018),
- Alfred C. Egerton Gold Medal, the Combustion Institute “for distinguished, continuing and encouraging contributions to the field of combustion”, 2016. (P. Dagaut),
- Silver Medal of CNRS-INSIS, 2016. (P. Dagaut),
- Public Research Trophy Energy-Environment-Climate 2015 for the CO2 EnergiCapt project, 2015 (T. Boushaki, C. Chauveau, I. Gökalp),
- Institute of Physics Noah Hershkowitz Award, 2012. (S. Mazouffre),
- René Pellat Prize of the French Physical Society, 2011. (S. Tsikata),
- Obtaining a Starting Grant ERC by A. Comandini in 2017 (FUN-PM on soot formation),
- Obtaining of a Senior Grant ERC by P. Dagaut in 2011 (2G-CSafe on chemical kinetics and combustion of 2nd and 3rd generation biofuels),
- The “Propulsion and Environment” Chair of the AirbusGroup Foundation awarded to ICARE in association with PPRIME and PRISME has been set up in 2013,
- The European project AMIS (Fate and impact of atmospheric pollutants) in the framework of FP7-PEOPLE-2011-IRSES, coordinated by ICARE, has enabled the development of new studies in the Atmosphere and Environment theme. 2 H2020 projects for the period 2016-2021 have been obtained.2 ANR contracts have been obtained in 2018.
Responsible / carrier / P.I. : Philippe Dagaut (Director), Christian Chauveau (Co-Director)
Main place : Orléans
Action perimeter : International
Tutelle : CNRS
Other partner institution : Université d’Orléans
Number of people : 31-100